Tuesday, September 4, 2012

First day of school! First day of school!

Esme's first day of school was a beautiful summer day. So nice it made me glad I decided to skip work. She was up early and ready to go. She dressed herself and carefully chose the socks which were the most colorful possible. She barely ate breakfast (which is unusual for this kid...)

But the rest of us were lazy (can you blame us after a 3-day weekend)? So we were running towards the end....but we managed to make it on time.

For all who were worried:
1. She had a teacher, who we later learned is called Mrs. C
2. She had a classroom with tables, chairs and a rug. A couple pictures etc.

She was very shy and didn't want to enter the room. When we asked her "would you like to sit here and color or over there and do a puzzle" she replied, "I want to sit with you mom." (I did not cry).

There is at least one other kid in her class who has a peanut allergy, so they are making a peanut free lunch table, which is a start... but she said most of the kids had peanut butter sandwiches today.

We left with apprehension and also a small amount of relief about the classroom.

They had a donut social outside. We spoke to the principal. We met a mother whose daughter did K-6 at the school and whose son was in kindergarten. She was glowing and had very positive things to say about the school. About its fundraisers, the active parent group, etc. She kept telling me how great it would be. (I did not cry).

We left the school and got her little brother a haircut (seen here 40 minutes prior and in desperate need). He seemed to relish the day with 2 parents entirely to himself.

We were giddy to get some house shopping done so we headed over to a few stores and on the way I made the fatal error of checking my work email and seeing all sorts of terrible things that I am responsible for going up in flames and I had to go home and spend the day in front of my computer. (I cried).

So, +1 for new school, +1 for new haircut +1 for neon zebra socks, -10 for crummy work.

At the end of the day, Esme arrived home giddy and very happy sharing all the fun things that happened today - a scavenger hunt around the school looking for a puppet, recess, a hot dog from the cafeteria for lunch and much, much more.

My baby is all grown up. Auden is gonna miss his big sister hovering around him all the time. It's the end of an era, but the start of something fun and new.

Wish us all luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment