Back tonight from kindergarten round-up. Esme's new school is called River Grove Elementary. It is in Lake Oswego, not far from our new house (if we ever get to live there). They actually closed the local school down (called Bryant) and moved all the stuff and all the kids from there to River Grove.
We went with a lot of excitement to meet her teacher and see her new class. We left disappointed. She did have a great teacher and a great classroom with a beautiful reading space, an aquarium, seashells everywhere and a wall devoted to ocean life. If you know Esme, you'll know this was heaven for her.... but they had so much enrollment that they've added a 3rd classroom to which Esme was re-assigned.
The teacher has been identified, but not hired yet, the classroom was in disarray with just a few boxes scattered around... Mooga thinks they'll get it done. His exact words are "they'll get it done". Now I try to remain optimistic but it is Wednesday. She starts next Tuesday and according to the principal Friday and Monday are holidays. This is like "Restaurant Impossible" only with your child's educational future at stake.
But... there were some seasoned mothers there with other kids at the school. Those mothers were giddy because they were trying to make the principal confirm that the newly hired teacher was "Mrs. X", who from what I can tell must be a wonderful teacher and must have been from Bryant. Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed that on Esme's first day of school on Tuesday she has an actual classroom to go to.
On the drive home, Esme and I were chatting about the usual stuff... what I had for lunch today...how you can use an ostrich shell to make a water canteen if you just braze it over a campfire to harden the shell and purify the water (I have no idea where she gets this stuff from...) when she busted out one of the funniest questions I have ever heard "Mom? Did Julie marry Jackie" (insert insane amounts of laughing here). To which I had to straight-face answer "no". "Then why do they live together?" and then I explained that having a house is expensive, that J&J are sharing expenses, you could live with your friends, your brother, your parents, etc. She's decided that she is going to live with Auden.
In other news... we are still just waiting for our loan to process. It has been agonizing. Mooga and I have been given homework by our contractor to pick everything out in advance. He's also pre-ordering windows so that as soon as we are funded he can go in on day one and install. I think everyone has seen the place now except Gary, Kay, halmony and aboji, so you all know what we are up against. Start praying please...
We're NOT married? News to me...
ReplyDelete