Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Anniversary weekend

Well, I remembered today that I started a blog once. Apparently my memory is about on par with a goldfish. Looks like we have some catching up to do.

Mooga and I celebrated an extraordinary 13 years of marriage on the 20th. Just like our wedding day, the weather was gorgeous. I am always astounded by the fall weather in Oregon (and don't know why it insists on raining only when we have visitors...and 9 other months out of the year).

Saturday was the West Coast Pumpkin Regatta, which draws folks from other states (though I am highly suspect about that). The giant pumpkins which are weighed and then turned into boats did not disappoint.

This one was around 700 lbs.
This pumpkin was turned into a bench/photo op booth. Auden certainly didn't enjoy standing in it. His comments was something like "This bench is slimy and yucky". 


They had a bounce house and a petting zoo with a pony, donkey, goat and a llama. Kids really liked that.  

We had to cut the day short to get to Esme's soccer game on time. They play out here rain or shine. Lucky for us, we've had more shine than rain (except for just one miserable game so far). Esme is a bit of a sissy (or maybe just a typical girl when it rains, walking around the mud going "ewwww"). 

Esme's been playing well, scoring goals (although we are not allowed to count). Soccer is a real bonding experience for the parents, sitting together each week on the sidelines trying not to count the goals.

On Sunday, we took a hike. Portland has amazing hikes and there is something about the city that makes you want to go out and hike. I think its related to being in a new environment, but Mooga and I would never consider driving up to Boulder for a day-hike, but out here, it seems like a pretty obvious thing to do. (Sea level also helps). 

We got in over two miles (one pretty steep downward section and other very long uphill climb) in an area called Silver Falls. It's about an hour south of town and East of Salem. Really beautiful, kid-friendly hikes.  We got to see 2 waterfalls and actually walk underneath them. 

The kids had a blast. In true Mooga fashion, he packed candy for the hike, which lasted a good long while and helped reinforce in the kids' minds that hiking is synonymous with candy. That will help when we have them out on a marathon march through the neighborhood for Halloween next week. 

We capped off the night watching Peyton Manning lose to Indianapolis in a heart-breaking game.  I think this was Mooga's idea of a perfect anniversary. I would prefer a trip to Hawaii, but this was probably my favorite yet.  :)

Esme is enjoying her bi-lingual spanish immersion program. She comes home with a new song to sing each week. She can count to 30 in Spanish and is learning about rocks. She knows common phrases and colors. The class she is in will stick together through the 6th grade, so we have a vested interest in getting to know the parents and the other kids. 

Next on the agenda...Halloween and then bubby turns three on November 9th!

No comments:

Post a Comment